Saturday 15 August 2015

Rimutaka Rail Trail Porridge Soup

I have to be honest. After 3 weeks of charred delight I felt like something a bit less robust. What better than the classic breakfast of trampers, porridge soup (or porridge cake, take your pick. It is impossible to get the right consistency). For once here was no sign saying light no fires!

Rimutaka Rail Trail Porridge Soup
Ingredients:

  • Rolled oats (I used scotch oats, cause if anyone can make good oats it is the Scots)
  • Apple - Royal Gala 
  • H2O
  • Secret ingredient
  • Smoky fire
  • Mora
This meal is a five step process:
Step 1 - Sweeten and condense your milk. 
Step 2 - Mix all the other ingredients in a pot, less the apple, with about 1 cup of water, half a cup of oats...and another cup of water (for a better consistency about 1 cup and a bit will do).
Step 3 - add smoky fire
Step 4 - Mix in about a quarter cup of the secret ingredient. I put it in at the end so it won't burn in the pot. Try to resist lapping any remaining, otherwise the food will never be sweet enough. Besides it goes awesome in tea!
Step 5 - Slice apple with your Mora and add to soup.

It tasted glorious and warmed me up proper.

Warning: Failing to use the correct type of apple will result in death or blindness.




I have not been on the Rimutaka Rail Trail in about 10 years and I was surprised how much it had changed. Most of the trail runs through commercial pine forest and since I was there last a lot of it has been chopped down and replanted. It is an excellent ride, day or night.

It took me just over an hour to bike to the summit, with the trail gently sloping up the whole way. I was under dressed and my saddle was killing my ass. Something to note is you are exposed the whole way. In summer it is a dry desert and in winter there is no warmth to help counter the ill wind that constantly rides off the Rimutaka peaks. Whatever the weather you should take some toasty clothing. I only found wet wood which was slow to burn so I was pretty cold and miserable until the fire reached critical mass and I had hot cup of tea in me.

But for all that it was a rather pleasant ride. During the trip I was accompanied by the sounds of happy water and Tui's quietly muttering and gurgling to themselves. On a warm day you should be able to find a good water hole for a dip in the stream along the trail. Despite barren exposed sections there are some outstanding features along the way:

Old steam train tunnels with comforting signs that say enter at own risk

Gnarley old bridge
Trails cut through bed rock
Rusting remains of steam trains at the summit
The secret ingredient!!!

Rimutaka Rail Trail Summit
Oh shit!!

2 comments:

  1. Urban Renewals totally supports this post and all manners of secret ingredient porridging. UR also support woodland rides and tui tributes and totally fantastic sense of post fun.

    This post gets 3 xxx out of xxx.

    Minus a y for lack of arse padding but that is a purely sympathetic y minus>
    UR displays no envy at having to work Fridays especially after hearing bout sore arses :)

    ReplyDelete