Saturday 1 August 2015

Butterfly Creek Black Bread


Too much!
For anyone who grew up in Wellington, Butterfly Creek is this magical place that people love but have not been in ages. It's quite a beautiful walk, but a little bit of a grind up the hill and down to the Butterfly Creek picnic area on the other side. I took the Bus Barn route which suggests you need about an hour and 10 minutes to get there but I hauled ass and got there under 40 minutes. I had spent the entire morning playing Skyrim and was running out of day. Plus I decided not to eat lunch before I went just so I was extra motivated.

Something you should note is that there is a TOTAL FIRE BAN in the Butterfly Creek area. So whatever you do don't, I repeat, don't head south for about 15 minutes from the picnic area until you find a nice sheltered position by the stream. Very bad idea, no fires at Butterfly Creek people!


Butterfly Creek Black Bread

Ingredients:

  • bit of salt
  • some yeast
  • touch of sugar
  • bunch of flour
  • water
  • cold pressed olive oil
  • Smoky fire







I had a stroke of mad genius to pre-make the bread doe. I put all the ingredients in my camp pot to make a firm but sticky mess. Don't bother with measuring too hard. You just need to fill about a third of your pot. I was a bit lazy and decided not to bother kneading it either, and I was curious about how it would turn out. After that I chucked it in my pack with the lid on and let it rise as I walked. Genius! (I also packed fixings for an emergency smoky bacon sandwich too).

All you need to do is add smoky fire, and brew a cup of tea while you wait. Then you leave it for about as long as you feel is 30 minutes without looking at your watch and you will be about there, 

Baking bread and making tea















Holy crap it worked!!
















Success!!!!















Sacrificing the remains to the fire gods















Tips and Tricks: A thin bottomed pot will ensure a good even char and always pack fixings for an emergency smoky bacon sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment